July 25, 2011

Kiddie pool disaster

I'm going to enlist help once again.

We've got a standard hard plastic little kiddie pool in the backyard for our youngest. It is a nightmare! The water lasts 24 hours at most before it either smells awful, is green, or has a slimy film on the bottom of the pool/any toys left in the pool. This is our first kiddie pool so maybe that's typical, but I can't help but think it's not? If people were having to refill these pools pretty much everyday why would they be popular?

We love our kids, obviously seeing as we're spending half an hour dumping this pool and refilling it every time he wants to play in it, but come on! It really does take half an hour to dump because it does not have a little drain, and if you don't empty it bucket by bucket first it's too heavy to pick up and empty. Not to mention we're flooding our very sparse already grass everyday, and killing our electric bill filling it that often.

If you have a kiddie pool, or just know of a way to keep it clean longer please share. I've thought of adding a TINY bit of bleach or something similiar, but honestly I'm kind of leary about that.

6 comments:

Ardent Lady said...

Pool maintenance is a constant, and I didn't have any better solutions. I usually emptied it after the swimming time so it could dry, b/c then it didn't sit and grow thing, get slimy and need as much scrubbing.

I wonder if some apple cider vinegar would work to keep down the growth, as good or better than bleach? At least it's not toxic...

Kim said...

I don't know - really though prime swimming time is when karl is at work. and so Id have to empty it alone afterwards.. its killer. bending over repeatedly to drain it by buckets. in the heat.. pregnant lol

kriznizzel said...

Let me know if you get the answer we have a baby pool it gets so dirty its gross!

Ardent Lady said...

Buckets are things that boys can handle... They can help empty the pool as an ending to the fun, or perhaps as just part of the whole deal. Gotta pay to play!

I can see that I was lazy - I just stepped on the side of the pool and let most of the water run out that way. When it was down to the bottom, I'd dump it over. I figured that if it broke, duct tape would hold it until we abandoned it to the trash for the season!

Karl said...

hah, yea thats what I ened up doing the other day. Bucketing it out takes its tole but it does double as watering the grass.

Mama Up! said...

Empty and refill it... that's what we do, and I don't like it so there hasn't been as much swimming as there might have been this summer!