July 13, 2011

House Project # 1

IMG_1366

I've wanted a huge chalkboard in my house for - forever. Wasn't happening in our apartment but that's not a problem anymore is it? I've always liked chalkboard walls, but I wasn't sure I could committ to such a large area being painted (incase I didn't like how it turned out)

So I did the next best thing (and maybe it's been done exactly like this before - but I decided on this myself and I'm pretty happy with the outcome) Incase you're curious I'll tell you how we did it. Well the jist of it anyway, no detailed tutorial, it's a chalkboard afterall.

IMG_1364

- I measured out the space I wanted as the actual chalkboard. I wanted it large, and this wall was perfect its the partial wall in our dining room/living room - right behind the open kitchen.

- Painted two coats of chalkboard paint.

- Bought molding at home depot (it's pretty cheap) My husband measured it, and cut it to size with an electric saw.

- We hung it up with finishing nails, conditioned & wiped the board and now it's set to go!

(and yes there is an electrical outlet in the middle of it. That was unavoidable if we wanted a good spot to put the chalkboard. We'll slap some outlet plugs in there and it'll be just fine.)

1 comment:

Ardent Lady said...

I love this! Can't wait to see what gets drawn and written on it. The ever-changing mural will be awesome.